Another Interview Update
Thus far I've been offered and have scheduled many interviews! Actually finding a spot in my schedule that I can schedule an additional one is becoming challenging. I guess this is a good thing(?). Currently, the number of interviews scheduled is in the "recommended range" in order to have enough programs to rank & likely match well. When you get an interview offer the program gives you a list of dates to chose from for your interview. As I've written before, the majority of programs have a dinner the night before so you can meet some of the residents you'll potentially be working with. Depending on how far away the program is (if driving), you will possibly have to block off 2-3 days for each interview.
I think the craziest aspect of interview season thus far has not been finding a spot in my schedule where I can actually attend the interview, but it's responding very promptly to the interview offer. Several programs have filled the interview dates I initially requested before I even replied to my offer email! I'm also getting concerned that I may have to miss too many dates during some of my fall rotations. I have two weeks of vacation time in November that I blocked off for the purpose of interviewing and those two weeks are really coming in handy! Most rotations during 4th year that I have scheduled are fairly flexible and they understand that we have to leave for interviews occasionally. During my ER rotation, Ryan and I both will be traveling for at least two interviews. Fortunately, I get to decide which ER shifts I pick up during that rotation! We are also planning a very exciting Thanksgiving this year, as I was able to coordinate having an interview the Monday after Thanksgiving in the same town where Ryan's brother, Matt, lives. We are really looking forward to seeing Matt, Carolina, & our precious niece for that holiday.
I think it's pretty amazing when you can coordinate interviewing at a program you are genuinely interested in and visiting people you care about! Ryan and I will also be traveling to Charlotte, NC, home of Bless Back Worldwide for an interview. This one is scheduled on a Monday as well, so we can spend time checking out the area and visiting with my friends from the Haiti trip this past August.
I am also interviewing at the program in Tennessee where my medical school "Big Sib" is currently doing her residency in OB/GYN, and I am looking forward to seeing her & her husband in addition to checking out the program I've heard many great things about. At Mercer we have a "Big Sibling - Little Sibling" tradition, where as you transition from your first year of medical school to your second, you select a newly accepted medical student to mentor. My "Big Sib" gave great advice and was someone I could turn to when I had any questions about the curriculum, rotations to schedule, or anything else affecting a medical student. I was very blessed in that my "Big Sib" lived in the same apartment building as I did my first year. She is a Christian and is someone I really looked up to throughout my early medical school years. She is also married to an engineer who worked in Warner Robins when they lived here. We all got along really well! Ryan and I still miss seeing my "Big Sib" and her husband on our nightly walks around the pond at our apartment complex.
I actually ended up with 2 "Little Sibs" during my second year of medical school instead of just one. I might be traveling solo to a program in South Carolina where one of my medical school "Little Sibs" ended up transferring to their affiliated medical school. She is married and her husband was unable to find a job in Macon while she completed years 1 and 2 of medical school here. Luckily she was able to transfer to the medical school where he lived for years 3 and 4! I am really looking forward to seeing her and checking out the program there as well!
I am also interviewing at the program in Tennessee where my medical school "Big Sib" is currently doing her residency in OB/GYN, and I am looking forward to seeing her & her husband in addition to checking out the program I've heard many great things about. At Mercer we have a "Big Sibling - Little Sibling" tradition, where as you transition from your first year of medical school to your second, you select a newly accepted medical student to mentor. My "Big Sib" gave great advice and was someone I could turn to when I had any questions about the curriculum, rotations to schedule, or anything else affecting a medical student. I was very blessed in that my "Big Sib" lived in the same apartment building as I did my first year. She is a Christian and is someone I really looked up to throughout my early medical school years. She is also married to an engineer who worked in Warner Robins when they lived here. We all got along really well! Ryan and I still miss seeing my "Big Sib" and her husband on our nightly walks around the pond at our apartment complex.
I actually ended up with 2 "Little Sibs" during my second year of medical school instead of just one. I might be traveling solo to a program in South Carolina where one of my medical school "Little Sibs" ended up transferring to their affiliated medical school. She is married and her husband was unable to find a job in Macon while she completed years 1 and 2 of medical school here. Luckily she was able to transfer to the medical school where he lived for years 3 and 4! I am really looking forward to seeing her and checking out the program there as well!
As a recap here are the states we will be traveling to (and some more than once!):
Mississippi
Georgia
Tennessee
Florida
South Carolina
North Carolina
Virginia
No comments:
Post a Comment