3.08.2013

Truth Be Told

Earlier this year I received an email from my Sister-in-Law over at The Price Report asking me if I had heard of this new business in Macon called Truth Be Told. I had not at the time, but it looked like something  I would love to do! I am so glad that it was brought to my attention, because I would have completely missed this opportunity otherwise! 

I have "liked" on Facebook where I normally get my hair cut in Macon, Signature Salon. And a week or so ago they posted that they would be having a Truth Be Told painting party! I quickly messaged them for more information so I could sign up. I managed to convince one of my best friends in medical school to join me for the party. We had a blast! At each party everyone does the same type of painting, but gets to choose their paint colors and scripture. 

Truth Be Told is a business and ministry started by a Macon local who is an art teacher. There is a short video the entire group watches before the painting process starts, and the founder Elizabeth talks about a near death experience she had when giving birth. She had a placental abruption. She felt overwhelmingly blessed to have lived through this, and she continued to wonder why God had spared her life. She knew He must have a plan for her. Not too long after that a friend of hers who was not artistically inclined asked her if she would help her learn to paint. The friend wanted to give one of her friends who was going through a very rough time a painting that included scripture within it. Elizabeth, as a children's art teacher, was skeptical that she could instruct an adult in one sitting how to create a painting like this, but she did. This was the very beginning of Truth Be Told. 

Since the business and ministry started in July of 2012 they have reached thousands of women across Georgia. One of the women touched by this ministry has even carried out what she learned to an orphanage in Haiti! The children there learned how to paint a colorful avocado with scripture on it, and they sell their masterpieces to help sustain the orphanage. This particular orphanage has even started it's own art school, and the children just love it. I have emailed Elizabeth to find out more about this, as it really touched my heart and made me think of the children at the Cambry Orphanage.

I wish I had more photographs of the process, but I didn't want my camera anywhere near the paint! Things got a little messy at times. I absolutely love the painting I was able to create with the help of a fabulous instructor! 

My instructor, Amanda Gaskins



My work of art just before tracing the scripture onto my board. I chose I Corinthians 13:13




My friend Griffin (really Ashley, but there are 4 in my class!) and I with our finished paintings.
Griffin is matching into a general surgery residency position next week. She managed to tie our twine with surgical knots.




My final painting. I am so ready to hang it up, but it will probably have to wait until we are at our new location for residency!





No comments:

Post a Comment