"Step 2" is the USMLE Step 2 Board Exam.
To start at the beginning, after my second year of medical school I took "Step 1". It was a computer based knowledge exam (about 8 hours long). After completing my third year of medical school it's now time for me to take "Step 2". While Step 1 was just a computer based test, Step 2 actually is done in two parts. There is a Step 2 CK (Clinical Knowledge) and a CS (Clinical Skills) test. I survived taking Step 2 CK this past Monday. It was a doozie! It was a computer based test with 352 questions and lasted about 9 hours. I hope to have done quite well on it, but for now I am relieved to simply say I survived. I won't be taking the Clinical Skills portion of the exam until September 10th (my Mom's Birthday!).
I had a really nice surprise waiting for me when I came home from my exam!
These "little quizzes" as my Dad likes to call them are kind of a big deal. For example, if you didn't pass Step 1, my school would not allow you to progress to your third year of medical school. Our scores on these "little quizzes" are also one of the things residency programs look at when we apply for residency. In order to be a competitive applicant in your field it helps to have a great score. While a single score doesn't tell your entire story, a lot of residency programs have a cut off score below which they will not likely consider a student as seriously.
I know I could not have made it this far in my studies without the love & support from Ryan, my family, and friends. A lot of my classmates (myself included) have had our moments of doubt when preparing for taking these challenging exams. We try to remind each other as best we can that God brought us this far, and that He will not abandon us or leave us the day of these dreaded tests. I am reminded often that what we are being prepared for is more than just a profession or a job, but more of a calling. We will one day be physicians. We will one day be in a position to combine our passion for science and our desire to help others, which is utterly amazing to me. I am so grateful for having come this far & am looking forward to the rest of this journey!
-Katie
Awesome! Thanks for explaining. I don't always catch on to the acronyms or med-school lingo! And what a sweet hubby. Have a great weekend.
ReplyDelete